Saturday, January 5, 2013

Frugal Tip: Making Your Own Laundry Soap Mix



Say What?

Yes! You can make your own laundry soap mix! It's super easy, takes about 10mins, and I know it will last us for months!

After reading that one of my friends made their own laundry soap to save a few dollars, it motivated me to give it a try too.  Now, I knew laundry soap consisted of Borax and Baking Soda, but I found a recipe on Pinterest that sounded a little more appealing to me, again this is just the one I chose! There are many ways to make your own! I chose this one mainly because the pinners mentioned how CLEAN their clothes were and how FRESH their clothes smelled after.

After giving this my own try, I agree! My clothes are certainly clean and fresh!

For $20 I bought all the ingredients and made this HUGE batch of laundry soap. The best part, for a large load, you only put 2tbs of the mix into your wash! That's it!!! I'm guessing that this large batch will last me atleast eight months, maybe longer. $20 for eight months+? YES PLEASE!!! I usually buy the Arm and Hammer Clean Scent Liquid Detergent. $7 for a bottle that I can usually go through in three weeks; a month if I really stretch it out. So, having a great laundry soap that cuts my spending by a ton? YES PLEASE!!!

So, are you ready? It's easy! You can stop by Walmart and pick up all these items!

(NOTE: You will need a cheese grater also)


You will Need:

Cheese Grater ( I bought one specifically for this. Dollar Tree has them for just a buck!)
1 (4 lb 12 oz) Box of Borax
1 (3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 (3 lb) Container of OxyClean
2 (14.1 oz) Bars of Fels Naptha Soap
1 (4 lb) Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
1-2 (55 oz) Bottle of Purex Crystals Fabric Softener (I picked the purple kind)
Large bucket to mix it (I just used a storage tub)

How To:

First I poured in the Borax, Super Washing Soda, OxyClean, and Baking Soda. I shifted the tub around to mix the ingredients after I gave it a quick "stir" with a large wooden spoon.
Next, pour in the Purex Crystals.
The hardest part really is just grating the soap. It can get to be a pain, but it doesn't take too long if you keep at it. Just grate the soap on top of the laundry mix.
Give it another "shake and stir"

ALL DONE!!!

I put some of the mixture into the empty Purex Crystals bottle to keep by my washing machine, so I can store the large tub somewhere out of site. Mainly, out of the way so I don't trip on it! lol.
Again, it's just 1tbs for small/med loads and 2tbs for large/extra large loads. If you keep the Purex Crystals bottle, the lid can be your guide!

NOTE: For best results, fill washer with water and laundry soap mixture PRIOR to adding clothes. It will not harm your clothes, just for best results mix with the water prior! :)


I hope this inspired a few of you to give it a go! I'm glad I did!

Happy Saving!





I did not come up with this on my own! This came from a Pin on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment